White Laggan
Forestry & Land Scotland have advised that all vehicle gates on the access tracks to White Laggan bothy from both Bruce’s Stone car park and the car park 2km beyond Craigencallie House area are now being locked on a daily basis. Vehicle access to the foot of the access path to White Laggan is no longer possible as a result. Anybody who attempts to drive to the bothy and who finds the access gates open and who chooses to drive on to the bothy is doing so at their own risk and may find themselves locked in. Please do not drive through any open gates in an attempt to access the bothy. Vehicles should be left at Bruce’s Stone car park (NX414803) or the car park 2km beyond Craigencallie house (NX494793) and the bothy access by cycle or on foot. Historical Note White Laggan cottage was part of the Kirroughtrie estate in 1799. The estate belonged to one Patrick Heron and his father. The census of 1851 shows White Laggan occupied by a shepherd, Alexander Logan, and his family. Records show a Logan family connection at White Laggan through to 1864, thereafter, the cottage was converted into a working place and sleeping quarters for cooks and servants who were employed to cater for the estates shooting and fishing parties. The guests were accommodated in another, prefabricated, lodge built at the front of the cottage. This later building was subsequently removed and White Laggan further converted and adapted to accommodate both guests and servants. It’s probable that the guests were accommodated in the main part of the cottage where today only foundations remain with the servants confined to the end which is now the bothy. This bothy is listed by the Mountain Bothies Association in the Southern Scotland area of Scotland.